Friday 24 August 2007

OMIGEE!! - Hana-Kimi

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG! If I had known this manga would be this good, I would have downloaded it way way sooner! When I initially picked up the first Hana-Kimi book in my local manga store I didn't think much of it and I put it down without even flicking through. However, when I boredly downloaded it earlier from MangaTraders, I found myself totally hooked! I was actually laughing out loud for some of it!

Sure, the premise of a girl dressing up as a boy is generally quite overdone now a days, but Hana-Kimi just seems to be so much funnier than most stuff. It's even caused me to become slightly disillusioned with Ouran! And I never thought that was possible!

For those of you who don't understand what I'm talking about, let me introduce you to the manga Hana-Kimi, which authored by Hisaya Nakajo. After watching a television programme featuring high jumper Izumi Sano, Ashiya Mizuki becomes immediately obsessed with him. Scowering the internet and various newspapers for information on the high jumper, she eventually finds out where he goes to school and determined to meet him and watch him high jump, she packs her bags and flies all the way from the US to Japan. She then transfers to the same school as him in hopes of getting the chance to meet him. Now here's the interesting part, the school is an all boys school. And not only that, but she ends up sharing a class and a room with her idol!

Now, imagine some of the most hilarious things that can happen in situations like this. Whatever you've imagined, it's probably happened. Sleep-walking into his bed? Yep, that's happened. Getting caught in the shower? Yara. Getting kissed by him when he's drunk and has turned into his other form, the kissing fiend? Tick, tick. Calling his arch-rival a short-legged fox? Oh yeah. Seeing the gay school doctor dress up as a show girl? *nods*

All this has happened and I'm still only on volume three! It's amazing! And I think I've become a total Sano fan-girl! *squeals* So far it's been really great and I'm looking forward to the various other antics that are bound to happen, though I wonder how long it's going to take Mizuki to realise that Sano knows her secret. But anyway, I'll leave you with a little glimpse of the slightly bizarre doctor who is fast becoming my favourite character (after Sano, of course).

Ja ne!

No comments: